Stairlifts, believe it or not, have a long history. The modern stairlift, which we are most used to seeing today, was developed by a Pennsylvanian engineer named C.C. Crispen. The idea was first formed when Crispen’s good friend was immobilized, and could no longer use stairs under his own power. This promted Crispen to build the first prototype of a Stairlift which he names, the Inclin-ator. It wasn’t long after that the stairlift started showing up in homes across to the country, making peoples lives that much easier.
However, we can’t necessarily give Crispen all of the credit, as the idea of stairlifts actually date back the middle ages! In 2009, evidence was found that suggested that King Henry VIII had a rudimentary stairlift system installed on his palace which was operated by servants using a block and tackle or pulley system. This new evidence would make the idea of a stairlift hundreds of years old!
Nowadays the stair lift is installed in homes across the globe, and manufactured by several different companies. Pacific Mobility specializes in Stairlifts in San Diego, as well as a multitude of additional moblity products such as wheelchairs, walking canes, ceiling lifts, porch lifts, and power scooters.
President, Husband, Father, Grandfather Graduate of UC Davis- Bio Sci Major- Go Aggies! Jeff has extensive experience in all of Pacific Mobility’s products and services, and specializes in accessibility products as well as stair lifts, ceiling lifts and custom wheel chairs. His hobbies include spending time with family, gardening, mountain biking, exercising and off road motorcycle riding.
- 24 years as Owner/President of Pacific Mobility Center – selling, installing, and servicing stairlifts, porch lifts, ceiling lifts, pool lifts, handicap ramping, specialty wheelchairs, scooters, power wheel chairs, and other power mobility devices
- Certified Environmental Access Consultant since 2008
- Licensed General Contractor since 1998
- Certified Aging in Place Specialist since 2016
- Board Member for Home Access Professionals
- Member of Association of Members of the Accessibility Equipment Industry (AEMA)